This isn’t a particular day for our family, no birthdays or anniversaries as far as I know… but June 26th is the 177th day of the year – although this year it is the 178th because it is a leap years…. and there are 188 days until the end of the year… so is I reckon it is about 182 days until Christmas…
I looked up to find out what things of significance happened on this date… here are a few random events which caught my eye…
- 221– the Roman emperor Elagabalus adopts his cousin Alexander Severus as his heir and receives the title of Caesar.
- 363– the Roman emperor Julian is killed during the retreat from the Sasanian Empire and General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor
- 1243– the Mongols defeat the Seljuk Turks at the Battle of Köse Dağ.
- 1295– Przemysł II crowned king of Poland, following the Ducal period and the white eagle is added to the Polish coat of arms.
- 1409– the Western Schism: The Roman Catholic Church is led into a double schism as Petros Philargos is crowned
- 1483– Richard III becomes King of England.
- 1522– the Ottomans begin the second Siege of Rhodes.
- 1541– Francisco Pizarro is assassinated in Lima
- 1909– the Science Museum in London comes into existence as an independent institution
Here are some people I have heard of who would be celebrating their birthdays, if they were still with us:
- 1817 Branwell Brontë, the English painter and poet, brother of Charlotte, Emily and Anne
- 1892 Pearl S. Buck, the American author and academic, and Nobel Prize winner
- 1898 Willy Messerschmitt, the German engineer famous for his aeroplanes among other things
- 1909 Colonel Tom Parker the Elvis Presley’s manager
- 1914 Laurie Lee, the English author, most well-known for ‘Cider with Rosie, but also a poet
… and here are a couple of people who died on this date:
- 1810 Joseph-Michel Montgolfier the French inventor who co-invented the hot air balloon died at the age of seventy
- 1830 George IV of the United Kingdom dued at the age of sixty-eight
In some churches, people will be celebrating saints days, including these people, most of whom I don’t know of:
- Anthelm of Belley
- David the Dendrite
- Isabel Florence Hapgood
- John and Paul
- José María Robles Hurtado
- Josemaría Escrivá
- Mar Abhai(
- Vigilius of Trent
It is also the flag day of Romania.
So that’s the 26th of June… today we will be doing our usual things of writing and painting, but also tidying and packing for a forthcoming little holiday.