I run two creative writing groups, and although they are quite different essentially we talk about writing, discuss different aspects of the craft, share ideas and share what we have written – at the end of each group I offer suggestions for what to write about next time, but they are just that, just suggestions and members can write whatever they like!
I write here on my blog a lot about my family and the history of people who came before, and I explore different ways of telling my ancestors’ stories… I have thought for quite a long time about starting another writing group, based on how people can tell the stories of their lives and of their families lives.
I have wondered about this for a while, and in fact I wrote about it here before, and outlined the sort of things I might cover:
- Life story
- My story
- My life in music/sport/theatre etc
- My travels
- School story/ college/university/training/forces
- Work story
- Romances/adventures/interesting tales
- My life and my belief
- My fantasy life
- My hero/heroine someone I admire
- spooky experiences
- My childrens’ story
- My family’s story
- My genealogical research story
- Story of a place
- Story of a person, a character from history or a person who’s alive today
- Tales my parents/grandparents/uncles and aunties told me
- Imaginary person’s life story
- How things have changed
- Christmas/Easter/ Whitsun/harvest/bonfire night/Halloween/advent
- Children… ‘when I was young…’
- Food, recipes, meals
- Travel writing
- Particular events –personal/national/historic… I remember where I was when…
These are only thoughts, a framework to hang writing on, and of course it depends on the people in the group and what they want!
My ponderings have come to the real thing, a date has been set, Monday 24th April – the fourth Monday of the month! I can only accommodate a certain number of people at home; if lots of people want to join, then maybe I will have to find somewhere else to hold the meetings!
By the way, my Radwinter stories, a series of four novels are about someone’s genealogical rese\arch, and how he writes the story of his family… if you have not read them yet, and not read my other novels either, here is a link: