I came across a page on Facebook – I can’t even remember what it was now, but a question was posed, something along the lines of ‘why do you write?’ There were some amazing answers, some really interesting, some really basic ‘because I want to/because I have to/ it’s what I do/it’s who I am’ – basic but absolutely fundamental. I tried to put the answers into groups because there were other reasons, other than the compulsion that I and lots of others seem to have! For example, writing as therapy, writing for a political or social or religious purpose… there was one who seemed to be doing it just to emulate J.K. Rowling, who, they said she ‘seems to have a pretty sweet deal ‘.
Here is a group I put together of people who just ‘have to’:
- Because words are the core of who I am. I can’t get enough of them– reading, speaking, writing. My world is wrapped in words
- I love creating worlds and characters and that I can bring them to life just through words alone
- I write because I have the ability and freedom too. Also, there’s just too much going on in my head that’s just screaming to get out
- because everyone has story to tell
- because these words would feel trapped in my brain. They have to be released into the universe
- Because I have to
- To quote Bea from the film ‘Bare Bea’: “Because I would explode if I didn’t”
- Because the voices in my head need out! 😜
- Because I have to… I have to tell the stories of the people in my head… Does that make me sound bonkers?
- Used to think that was crazy talk. Then had a breakthrough. I just showed up and watched the characters. Writing got sooo much better
- Because I want to invite other people to explore the worlds inside my head. And because the people in those worlds want to be heard
- As I always say, the characters are in control, I just take dictation
- Because I need to.. also because I like seeing readers react
- Because it’s fun
‘Bare Bea’ is a Norwegian film, ‘Only Bea’ with a very dubious moral message…
I was surprised, but maybe I shouldn’t be, that so many of the answers were so similar… I will share more later!!