In one of the groups I teach, someone has coeliac disease so I always make sure when it is ta and coffee break, there is something which can be enjoyed by everyone. I end to make cakes and buns and biscuits, but then I was inspired to have something savoury on offer… so what is better than cheese straws? Gluten free of course:
- 4 oz white spelt or plain white gf flour
- 2 oz butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 oz grated cheese (how about making it with goat’s cheese for a change?!)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch each of salt and pepper (or more cayenne or paprika)
- rub the flour, cayenne pepper and butter together until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- add ⅔ of the grated cheese and mix in
- add an egg and bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
- roll out to ¼ inch thick
- add the salt and pepper/cayenne/paprika to the other egg and mix in the last grated cheese.
- paint the eggy cheese mixture over the pastry, then cut into thin strips
- put onto a greased greaseproof paper lined baking tray and bake for 10/12 minutes at 220°C/425°F/Gas 7
You may have to double the quantities because they are so tasty!