We’ve been very neglectful in the garden and so we have lots of rose-hips… maybe I will make rose-hip jelly as I did a few years ago – it was very nice, but it got left in the cupboard and forgotten about at Christmas so we had it later in the new year – the last of it used in jam tarts…
- 2 lbs rose-hips, mushed up in a food processor
- 1 lb white sugar
- 5 pts of water ( or thereabouts)
- jelly bag/muslin/the leg/foot of an old pair of tights
- boil 3 pins of water in a big pan and add the rose-hips
- bring to the boil again then turn off the heat and leave it for about fifteen minutes.
- pour the fruit and water into the jelly bag/muslin/the leg/foot of an old pair of tights
- when it’s stopped dripping – just the occasional drip, put the fruit back into the pan and add another 1½ pints of boiling water
- bring it all back to the boil as you did in instruction (2)
- rerun instruction (3)
- put the rose-hip liquor into a clean saucepan and bring to the boil again and reduce – you want about 1½ of liquor
- then add the sugar, boil again for about 5 mins, then decant into hot sterilised bottles and seal immediately
- enjoy with whatever you have for your Christmas dinner!