Our tastes change… recipes which were thought delicious in past times are sometimes no longer to our taste. However, this tart from 1870, with what sounds rather like an apple curd filling does sound very tasty!
APPLE CHEESE CAKE.
- 12 apples, peeled cored and cooked in a small amount of water (Bramleys might be better than eaters – if so you probably don’t need 12!)
- 6 egg yolks
- juice of 2 lemons
- zest of lemon
- ½ lb butter
- 1 lb sugar
- puff pastry (or pastry of your choice – I think I would use an enriched shortcrust – but maybe rough puff would be nice too!)
- mash the apples and their cooking liquor until very smooth
- beat in the egg yolk
- add the juice and zest of lemons and beast well
- beat the butter and sugar together to make a light cream
- mix the butter cream and apple
- line a flan/pie/tart dish with pastry (no quantity give so you will have to use your judgement!)
- bake and “send it up like an open tart”
This sounds delicious served with cream or ice cream! I often share recipes I plan to try, but this one I think I will have a go at – I’m sure my family would enjoy it!